About Freestyle Academy
of Communication Arts
At Freestyle Academy of Communication Arts and Technology in the Mt. View-Los Altos UHSD, we believe passion drives success. We also believe 21st Century communication skills with and without technology are necessary for success in any workplace, organization or institution. We believe that school should be a fun and rewarding place to learn these skills. In essence, Freestyle Academy provides students a unique, relevant and challenging, but fun opportunity to find or enhance an artistic/technical passion and develop their communication skills that are applicable to most any field of study or work.
Since 2006 when Freestyle opened its doors, we have challenged students to be creative and imaginative with communicating their ideas by producing art for larger project-based units through various multimedia visual and audio formats with modern software and hardware tools. Each student takes 3 classes at Freestyle Academy that contributes to the final productions for each quarter-based project. In this 2-year program limited to 72 Juniors and 72 Seniors in small classes of 18 students per class, each student enrolls in English and Design and then takes either Film or WebAudio. Students take other classes and complete other graduation requirements at Los Altos HS, Mt. View HS or Alta Vista HS for the remainder of each day.
Because “story is king”, all project ideas begin in English through readings, discussions, critiques, brainstorming sessions, writings and peer editing. Design further develops the project ideas through visual art such as photography, illustrations, drawing, painting, clay modeling, books, magazines, storyboards and 3-D art with the use of DSLR cameras, lighting kits, electronic drawing pads, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Storyboard Quick.
Will This Help Me?
At Freestyle Academy, you will not only strengthen the necessary writing, speaking,
and research skills you will need in college and in the workforce, but you will also learn critical
communication skills that will help you express your ideas in creative, exciting and
original ways such as but not limited to:
- self-portrait photographs and illustrations
- self-portrait films
- enhanced audio podcasts
- personal websites and blogs
- original and adapted short stories and screenplays
- narrative and documentary films
- narrative short animations
- documentary slide shows with audio interviews
- documentary books with embedded research
- experimental art and photography
- experimental films, music and poetry
- magazine articles
- surreal photography and illustrations
- original music compositions
- portraiture photography and illustrations
- music videos, CD and concert poster art
- film, art, web and audio explorations
- senior projects in writing, web, audio, and film
Read what former students say about Freestyle.
Awards by Freestyle Students and for Freestyle