In English, we first learned about story arc and how to write a compelling story through major plot points. After we learned about story arc we learned about character design. we started with an activity where we could think up a random character and answer a bunch of questions about said character. After that, we had to make a plot map for our short story (a rough outline). After we made our plot map we analyzed several short films/animations for there plot structure. After all of this prep work, we began writing. My short story was about a seventeen year old named Keith. He grew up on a farm in Indiana. He was raised by a single mom because his dad left when he was three. One of the main driving points of the story is how his dad leaving him so early affected his ability to form meaningful relationships. This was a very hard process for me because I don’t think of myself as the best writer. There were lots of revisions and a complete rewrite at one point.
For my banners, we learned a new program called Corel Painter. I decided to use this program to make my banners. Corel allows you to paint digitally. All of my banners were made with oil brushes. For me, this was a very interesting program to learn because I have painted with oils in real life. Painting in real life is a very long process with the time between coats/colors and the time it takes for the final piece to dry. All of that time vs the time for a Corel painting is amazing. I was able to finish each piece in around an hour to an hour and a half. It took a lot of experimenting with all of the different types of brushes to find one liked. The main brush I used was the Oils Real Clumpy Wet Flat 2 and for hair and eyes, I used oils Bristles and detail brush. After I finished the paintings I exported them as .png’s and imported those files into Adobe Illustrator. I set up my Illustrator document to have 4 artboards with the correct dimensions. I cropped all of my artwork to fit the artboards so they would be the correct size. I did this in Illustrator because I didn’t like how Corel cropped/ exported as .jpg. Finally, we used Adobe DreamWeaver to code HTML so that our banners would stay fixed instead of scrolling with the page. We also used it to make it so the banners would go all of the way across the website. Finally, we change the color of the text to work with the banners with DreamWeaver.
For my Personal illustration, I used part of my illustration for design and developed it further. The original design was for my creature I started by taking of the horn from the rhino and recoloring the ears so they would match the color palette of the Lion. After the ears were resized to they would be in the correct proportion to the rest of the lion. Then I cleaned up the parts of the mane. Then I changed the color scheme of the entire piece by using the blending mode hue with a blue rectangle.
. These were two in-class exercises to develop our understanding of color theory. The one to the left was a color pencil blending exercise. We picked 5 colors and had to blend there sections together. We also had to make each section fade from a tint in the center to a shade on the outside. The one to the right is a watercolor exercise that taught us about the blending of colors and how mixing 2 complementary colors will desaturate them and turn them grey.
Story Scene Illustration
My story is about a teen growing up in Indiana without his father because he left. I picked the animals that I thought represented my characters traits. The traits I chose were strong headed, cowboy-like, and prideful. The Strong Headedness was represented by the bull and the rhino. Cowboy Is represented by the horse and the bull. Finally, the Lion represents his pridefulness.
We started by first sketching different scenes from our story that we could use in our background. After we sketched our ideas we shared them in a group to get feedback to choose which one we would move forward with. Once I chose the background I went to the internet to get source images. I decided to finalize my sketch to use that for my background. I opened my sketch in illustrator and illustrated it with the 3 point perspective grid. Getting everything to match 3 point perspective was a challenge. For this project, we had to choose a 5 color scheme. We choose this from color books and added a few colors. Then I moved on to the creature we used blending modes in Adobe Photoshop to merge images from the internet I traced this image in Illustrator and choose colors from my color scheme. I chose to use reddish pink for my rhino and purple for my bull. I had similar colors for the lion and horse in my color scheme so I used the natural colors. Once I finished illustrated my creature I Flattened it and put it in my background. When I put it in the background I thought it didn’t look correct so I reflected it vertically and it fit much better.
For this project, we had to shoot items that we thought would be interesting in macro. I shot a bunch of wine charms dumped out onto my kitchen table. I tried lots of different angles and ended up liking this one the best. In PhotoShop I added a vignette in the raw editor. Then I used all of the tools in the RAW editor to get the photo to a place where I could start in PhotoShop. First, I cooled down the image using a filter layer. I also added a color adjustment layer to change the image to reduce the amount of yellow (it was really yellowed out). Finally, I resized the photo to get it ready to be printed.